Jesus,… wow. We have no idea where to begin.
I guess we’ll start it off in the St. Louis hotel suite of ESPN Baseball Tonight analyst Steve Phillips, when he and 22 year old production assistant Brooke Hundley first did the nasty(please note the artistic selection and double meaning of the word nasty). Apparently Phillips and Hundley began a brief, yet sordid affair in the summer of 09, which he has acknowledged. He states that Hundley has become obsessed and delusional, and police have now become involved.
Now it’s not normally good form to believe the personal attacks of a man who is repeatedly caught cheating on his wife, but in this case, Phillips might have a case. Some of the highlights of Hundley’s path of destruction through everything and everyone close to Phillips include:
1. Making threatening, rambling, phone calls to Phillips wife, Marni(who, took Phillips back after he admitted to cheating with Mets team employee Rosa Rodriguez in 1998).
2. Pretending to be a classmate of one of Phillip’s sons in order to become friends with him on Facebook. Once friended, she began making sexual overtures towards him.
3. Showing up at the home of Phillips to deliver a creepy, rambling, Fatal Attraction-esque letter to the wife of Phillips.
4. Hundley was caught by Phillips wife while delivering the aforementioned letter, and while trying to escape quickly, she crashed her car into a stone column on the Phillips’ property.
5. In the letter, she included graphic descriptions of Phillips genitalia in order to prove her authenticity, while also mentioning specific ongoing events in the familial life of the Phillips, with references to each of the four children.
This is in no way a tacit approval of what Phillips did, rather a rundown of the insanity that followed the affair. Phillips has acknowledged three sexual encounters with Hundley in July, 2009, but said he broke it off after that. He was originally suspended for one week by ESPN, and has since been granted an extended personal leave of absence.
There are sure to be more details to come out in this case, and we’ll continue to update as they become available.